Montreal police were at a motel when they encountered an armed man suspected of three murders earlier this week. Cops shot and killed the suspect and the mayor had a lot to say about it.
A 26-year-old was wanted in connection to a series of seemingly random murders. On Tuesday, two men were killed in separate shootings in Montreal. On Wednesday, another person was killed north of Montreal. Cops were at a city motel this Thursday when they shot the alleged perpetrator, according to Manuel Couture, a Montreal police spokesman.
An investigation into the suspect’s death has been launched by Quebec’s Bureau des enquêtes indépendantes (BEI), which by default investigates whenever a civilian is killed or injured during police interventions. So far, the BEI has declared that when police confronted the suspect, he was in possession of a firearm. Police were at the motel at around 7 a.m., intending to perform a search for an investigation into the homicides.
Shots were fired and at least one bullet hit the 26-year-old suspect, who “was pronounced dead at the scene,” the BEI said. Now, seven more investigators have been put on the case. Quebec provincial police are also taking over the investigation.
Some of the victims have been identified:
Both of Tuesday evening’s victims have been identified. One was André Fernand Lemieux, 64 years old and the father of Canadian professional boxer David Lemieux. The other victim was Mohamed Salah Belhaj, 48, who worked at a local mental health hospital as an intervention officer. Investigators haven’t found a link between the victims or the killer.
The next day, a senior police spokesman said that investigators were sure one person was behind both of the killings. That night, a third person was killed in Laval and police say it could be another random attack.
Police Chief Inspector Marie-Claude Dandenault said investigators are considering “all possible motives” for the killings.
Montreal’s mayor, Valérie Plante, had this to say:
Shortly after the first attack on Tuesday, the mayor said “My heart goes out to the family and loved ones of the two victims of the heinous crimes that took place last night in Montreal,” she wrote in a tweet Wednesday afternoon. “I understand the concerns of citizens following these events.”
These were the 16th, 17th, and 18th murders on Montreal soil this year.